Welcome to our school website. We hope that you enjoy exploring and finding out about our fabulous school!
Mount Pleasant School can be found at the heart of the Mount Pleasant Complex in the Falkland Islands – 8000 miles from the UK! We are the most southerly MOD School in the World and welcome children from Service, MoD and entitled families who are posted to Mount Pleasant Complex on continuity tours.
There are usually 40 to 50 children in our school, aged from 2 to 11 years. In October 2019 we moved into a wonderful, new, purpose-built school. We are very proud of our new building and really enjoy using our huge hall, our new playgrounds and our exciting classrooms. We successfully meet the challenge of mixed age group classes, within a context of high mobility, and ensure that our children acquire the necessary knowledge and skills in order to be successful learners. As we become increasingly at-home in our wonderful, new, building, we look forward to raising our aims even higher and welcoming more families to our unique part of the world….
At our school we use our unique context and geographical location to create a wonderfully engaging and enriched curriculum. We welcome visitors into school and undertake a range of trips, both within MPC and across the Falkland Islands, in order to enhance our curriculum further. For example, you might find us visiting the emergency services on base or spending time on a local farmstead.
Within the Mount Pleasant Complex, you can find a cinema, bowling alley, swimming pool, gym, shops and a community centre. A number of activities are run for children including Cubs and Beavers and family swim sessions – with the big inflatable! We all live close to our new school building and we aim to walk to school when we can. The weather can be very exciting in the Falkland Islands. We can experience sun, wind, rain – and snow – all in the same day! That just makes it an even more exciting place to live.
You can do a lot of exploring in the Falkland Islands. There are some beautiful beaches to visit, where sometimes you can spot amazing wildlife such as penguins, seals, whales and dolphins. There are also lots of islands that you can visit for a break. The capital of the Falkland Islands is called Stanley. It is a small town, less than an hour’s drive away from MPC. Stanley has a number of shops, including two supermarkets, a home store and some gift shops. It also has some cafes, restaurants and a few hotels where you can stay over.
- We follow the National Curriculum for England and Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum
- All children admitted prior to the term after their third birthday are fee payers. Entitled Fee Payers and Non-Entitled Fee Payers may apply in line with the admission requirements in JSP 342.
- A team of Her Majesty’s Inspectors visits regularly. Our most recent school inspection (2014) was graded Good and the report can be located on the Ofsted web site.
- We receive ongoing support and monitoring from MOD Schools School Improvement Team
- Children who are 11 years old, and have completed Year 6, may wish to use Continuity of Education Allowance, to continue their education in UK.